• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your opinions on alcohol? (Questions)

I wish there was a non alcoholic drink that I could hold on my hand while smoking a cigar and still look like a distinguished gentleman of mafia boss. You don’t see those people drinking Diet Dr Pepper.
In Oz, Claytons was a big thing (especially in the 70-80s.) It was a non-alcoholic, non-carbonated cola drink made and packaged to look like whisky. The advertising slogan was “The drink you have when you’re not having a drink.” “Claytons” became a part of the vernacular, meaning “fake lookalike” in a wide range of contexts.

1) Do you drink socially with your friends? Do you have any friends/family members who drink socially?
I don't drink at all, but my dad drinks socially.
2) What things have you heard about drinking (along with certain factors like medication) that made you not want to try alcohol?
I have emetophobia (fear of vomiting) so I feel reassured when I don't consume alcohol at all. Also I don't like the feeling it gives me where it makes my legs feel like jelly and all I want to do is lay down. This sometimes happens even after one glass.
3) Would you ever want to try alcohol once you turn 21 or if you're 21+ and haven't tried alcohol yet or took a break from it?
No, I prefer to just be myself. Most people change when they're drunk and I don't want to change.

Also for me a lot of drunk people slip into the uncanny valley. When I was a kid I used to think drinking loads of alcohol just made you dizzy and unable to stand up straight. If only it just did that. But in reality it seems to cause horrid effects to the person's rational thinking and behaviour. They often lose their compassion and respect for others. When my husband is drunk, things get muddled up in his head and he comes out with a load of nonsense, and becomes obsessed with the TV and is completely oblivious to my feelings, even if I'm crying because I'm a bit afraid of him (even though he doesn't physically abuse me when he's drunk) he's completely oblivious. And his real nature is sensitive and sweet. So that's why he slips into the uncanny valley when he's drunk, because he's like an unpredictable stranger in the house.

It's why I don't really like people drinking.

Last edited:
Also I don't like it when people on forums frequently get drunk and then post incomprehensible posts and tactlessly personally attack others because they don't know what they're saying. They also creep me out sometimes. I remember on another forum there was a female member there who would get drunk then send me weird PMs, one after the other, sounding like she had a sexual crush on me (even though we're both straight). I didn't like it.

Enjoyed some hard (apple) cider over the weekend. Smooth, light, and sweet. No kick to it, but a little unsteady on my feet after consuming about a litre's worth.

I drink, and will socially drink. It's actually kind nice to enjoy a beer and talk with others. It creates a pack mentality in my mind, in some way.

I try to avoid getting drunk when ever possible. Hard liquor is a fast way to get me there, since I am a light weight. But I really try to avoid consuming liquor too much. I treat it as more of a special occasion thing.

Alcohol, in general, does help make me more sociable. But I know better than to be reliant on it for that. Because I refuse to get myself addicted to beer, the same way I have been addicted to soda in the past. I know they are two different animals. But both are addictive in thier own ways.

Also I don't like it when people on forums frequently get drunk and then post incomprehensible posts and tactlessly personally attack others because they don't know what they're saying. They also creep me out sometimes. I remember on another forum there was a female member there who would get drunk then send me weird PMs, one after the other, sounding like she had a sexual crush on me (even though we're both straight). I didn't like it.

I know about this kinda thing. I dealt with someone similar on another form. He was abrasive and sarcastic about alot of things.

They're a transgender now. I haven't been in contact in anyway, via the forum or Discord, since they transitioned. So I don't know what they are doing now.

I recently stopped drinking alcohol whatsoever, because I started feeling that I'm getting really used to drinking it whenever I'm getting anxious, and I'm anxious about something almost all the time. I also grew up in the abusive family, and both my parents and grandparents are alcoholics. I don't know anyone whos mental or physical health became better after drinking this poison, and I want to be healthy to live for as long as I can. I also want to know that I'm solving my problems and fighting with my anxiety with my own strength and willpower, and not with the help of alcohol.

I'm curious about the effects of drinking on the spectrum...
I drank for years. As another commenter said, it can be a problem. It was for me. I stopped almost 20 years ago.

That's not to say I'm suggesting you don't try it. For me the problem was that alcohol was the only thing that permitted anything near normal social interaction. Either my behavior was improved by drinking, or others' perceptions were altered by drinking, or both to the extent that I had more enjoyable conversations with people. With alcohol, you'll "unmask" for sure. And the people you're with won't react as badly to it as usual.

But then that's a problem, if the only time you're interacting with people is when they're drinking. Think of what it would be like to work as a bartender who doesn't drink and be around people who have been drinking--sometimes a lot. It's artificial, kind of like a human chatbot. But for a time, for me, alcohol was a temporary "cure" for autism. I think it might really have been a temporary cure for others' tendency to judge my autistic behavior, because they weren't seeing it the same way when they were drinking too.

Some people can drink moderately, without becoming alcohol dependent. Maybe that will be you. I hope it is. I suppose it's more likely than not. Just be aware of the downside. Dependence on alcohol can isolate you more, cause more depression, and make autism worse (in the long run).

...while the negative part of your ambivalence toward something may be kept in check by your normal consciousness, once your more prudent, self-censoring mechanisms are alcoholically impaired, these barricaded ideas escape from their private hiding places.
Moreover, neurotransmitters, particularly norepinephrine, are released when you're drinking. This serves to lower your inhibitions, leading you to act more impulsively and not really care that much about how others might adversely assess your behavior.
...it has been shown to decrease anxiety and negative reactions to social stressors, while increasing extroversion and sociability, helping behaviors, generosity, and interpersonal bonding.

All are the result of lost inhibitions and adversely affects your critical judgment. Alcohol in moderation is usually a social lubricant. If you get too much, it can be problematic. It can excite you or depress you, might leave you nauseous, definitely muck up your motor skills, and eventually put you to sleep.

I haven't been drunk in a very, very long time, since I was 20-something. I'm not naturally angry or aggressive or assertive, but I do have a sort of demon. You can probably figure out which inhibition I tended to lose first. :cool:

Last edited:
My parents were social drinkers. I never noticed any intoxication, However, alcoholics were not unknown in the family, so an introduction to alcohol was one of the few things they did carefully and well. They let me taste beer around age 8, and I just found it bitter and strange - definitely something I'd not test regularly to see if my tastes had matured. Later, when I was at parties where everyone was drinking, I'd have two, but only tried three once and didn't like the loss of control.
I had one heavy-drinking friend who learned that she'd tried to get on the stage and perform the previous night. She went to one AA meeting and completely quit drinking so she wouldn't go back to either place.

I agree. Years ago, when I was seeing a therapist, he was a little surprised that I didn't drink at all (I hadn't for a few years). But, then he said, "You like control." Which is true. I imagine a lot of Autistic people avoid alcohol because it gets rid of inhibition and numbs, so we don't notice the sensory stimulation as much. But, you do pay for it later.

Coffee seems to be extremely popular with us, and I've noticed with ID individuals too.
I never got a taste for coffee, but in an emergency, I can use it to replace a night's sleep. I once asked my friends, all sitting around with cups, if I should start, and got an instant chorus of "Noooo!"

1) Do you drink socially with your friends? Do you have any friends/family members who drink socially?

Ye gods, no, I dont drink. I do, however, have family members who do, which presented problems up to a point.

2) What things have you heard about drinking (along with certain factors like medication) that made you not want to try alcohol?

EVERYTHING. Everything. Alcohol is one of the greatest mysteries to me. I usually dont even call it that... I often refer to it as a "potion of stupidity". Have some and you get slower, dumber, less coordinated, and more gullible for awhile. The more you drink, the more dumb things get. Why in the numerous hells would I even consider drinking that? It's even addictive, too.

And all of that is emphasized when I see what it does to people. I've run into a lot of people who drink, in wildly varying quantities. One thing I can say is that I have never, NEVER, run into someone who doesnt get exponentially more annoying when they've been drinking. This alone is enough to ensure that the moment the beer shows up, is the moment I make a quick exit. No exceptions.

But also... family. My mother and stepfather used to drink a lot, and it became a bit of a problem. They werent dangerous, per say, but they were very... erratic. And wobbly. And loud. It was very hard to watch. Ever heard of the concept of secondhand embarrassment? Well, watching them do that was my own original introduction to the concept.

That all kept escalating until I did the single most out-of-character thing I've ever done, which is to scream at them while standing outside in the driveway. I dont think I've ever been THAT angry before or since, but my patience with their antics had finally snapped. Fortunately, this stopped their habits dead in their tracks... the problems stopped literally overnight. Which is what happens when you cause VERY public embarrassment.

At this point, whenever I find myself in control of a situation, chances are I'm going to drop a "no alcohol" rule in place. Obey or leave. This has caused a couple of conflicts at times in the past... specifically when friends wanted to pick up some beer or whatever when we just happened to be at like a gas station or something (either to get gas, or because I needed to buy bread or something), but... yeah, that stuff doesnt enter my car. Try it and I WILL strand you there.

And yes I'm aware of just how vitriolic I sound here. I mean no offense to anyone who does partake, but... yeah this is one of my biggest triggers.

3) Would you ever want to try alcohol once you turn 21 or if you're 21+ and haven't tried alcohol yet or took a break from it?

lol no

Ye gods, no, I dont drink. I do, however, have family members who do, which presented problems up to a point.

EVERYTHING. Everything. Alcohol is one of the greatest mysteries to me. I usually dont even call it that... I often refer to it as a "potion of stupidity". Have some and you get slower, dumber, less coordinated, and more gullible for awhile. The more you drink, the more dumb things get. Why in the numerous hells would I even consider drinking that? It's even addictive, too.
It's a mystery how so many NTs (who are the first to judge people who are slow, less coordinated, socially clueless, etc) find drinking alcohol so appealing and cool, when alcohol makes them become what they normally hate. It just doesn't make sense to me.
And yes I'm aware of just how vitriolic I sound here. I mean no offense to anyone who does partake, but... yeah this is one of my biggest triggers.
People get too easily offended these days. You shouldn't have to sugarcoat your opinions just because some have to take it personally. Just because you have strong opinions on alcohol it doesn't mean you're personally attacking everyone who does drink alcohol. Drinking alcohol can have harmful effects on the drinker and those around them, and I know the Aspie code is "if it isn't hurting anybody then don't judge" but alcohol can hurt people, so I think us teetotalers have a right to have a voice.
Obviously there are some light drinkers who just have a controlled amount of alcohol that isn't making themselves ill or affecting anybody else, but we're not really talking about that type of drinking here.

It's a mystery how so many NTs (who are the first to judge people who are slow, less coordinated, socially clueless, etc) find drinking alcohol so appealing and cool, when alcohol makes them become what they normally hate. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Hypocrisy is just part of the human condition, not intended to make sense. Whether ND or NT.

People get too easily offended these days. You shouldn't have to sugarcoat your opinions just because some have to take it personally. Just because you have strong opinions on alcohol it doesn't mean you're personally attacking everyone who does drink alcohol.

I've come to the conclusion over the years that many people simply do not like strong opinions of any kind. That first and foremost it intimidates them emotionally. Worse still is when it involves a subject they may not be knowledgeable about, which puts them ill at ease intellectually speaking.

A social dynamic possibly comparable to why they may prefer small talk about nothing while many autistic persons tend to focus on things with both intensity and specificity. Often taken as some kind of violation of their comfort level. Whether it makes sense or not is irrelevant. With or without the presence of alcohol.

Last edited:

What I dont get is why anyone finds it "cool" in the first place, even if you dont consider the part about them judging others.

Like, I can be a bit wobbly when walking for whatever reason, and I gotta say, I dont feel too cool when I do something like walk into a doorframe or crash into a chair. And that's just inherent with me. Yet it's apparently just so darned cool when someone drinks something that makes them do not only that, but other things that are just as "graceful".

I dont get it.

I just have a couple of drinks socially, do not like losing my ability to think straight so getting inebriated does nothing for me.I do not drink coffee too bitter.

Alcohol was of great importance as a mean to purify water. It was one of the very few ways to drink water safely without boiling it. Thats how it became so linked to almost every human culture.
northern europeans drank beer, southern europeans drank wine other cultures bathed so less sickness so alcohol not used a frequently. the more polluted the rivers , the more dense the population the greater the issue.

Last edited:
What I dont get is why anyone finds it "cool" in the first place, even if you dont consider the part about them judging others.

Most probably won't get it, as long as they look for a rational and logical explanation.

Hypocrisy is just part of the human condition, not intended to make sense. Whether ND or NT.
  1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
  2. An act or instance of such falseness.
  3. The act or practice of a hypocrite; a feigning to be what one is not, or to feel what one does not feel; a dissimulation, or a concealment of one's real character, disposition, or motives; especially, the assuming of false appearance of virtue or religion; a simulation of goodness.
Bottom line: We're a very perplexing species unto ourselves.

I've come to the conclusion over the years that many people simply do not like strong opinions of any kind. That first and foremost it intimidates them emotionally. Worse still is when it involves a subject they may not be knowledgeable about, which puts them ill at ease intellectually speaking.
I don't like being criticised but if someone isn't criticising me directly then I just let them vent or have their opinions. It's like if someone expressed their opinions about everyone who uses Facebook. I use Facebook and I am quite addicted to it, but I wouldn't silence people from having their opinions about it. I believe in free speech.

I don't like being criticised but if someone isn't criticising me directly then I just let them vent or have their opinions. It's like if someone expressed their opinions about everyone who uses Facebook. I use Facebook and I am quite addicted to it, but I wouldn't silence people from having their opinions about it. I believe in free speech.

Interesting.

So what in your opinion is what makes such a forum "addictive", given your obvious dislike of being personally criticized or "silenced" ?

Particularly if like so many of us on the spectrum, that we have a nebulous sense of "feeling on the outside, and looking in". Which doesn't make for an addictive place to be from my own perspective, unless perhaps one truly enjoys masochistic combat rather than civil discourse.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom