• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Theory of mind

I have no theory of mind I am confused how people think,how I am supposed to think need info
I think you do, as you seem to recognise that other people have minds and think differently. You seem to recognise that other people have different mental states to yours. If you looked at me blankly when I told you others don't see things as you do, that might be different.

A trait of ASD appears to be that we struggle to understand mental states, be that our own or that of others. There are techniques you can learn to be better skilled, or to kind of work round that, but they do take more energy than just instinctively knowing. Do you have a therapist at all?

IMO, just accepting the propositions that certain contexts might make a complete opposing opinion / feeling to yours possible will take care a lot of this.

My "theory of mind" problem isn't that I don't have one.

The problem is that I can think of too many possible reasons why a person might say or do something. I can't tell which is most likely correct.

I have an overabundance of mind theories.

how I am supposed to think
We aren't really in control of our thoughts and there is no "supposed to" for thinking. Of course, we can have some control over how we behave in response to our thoughts and we can have some control over which thoughts we give attention to. But, I think that the notion that you should be thinking in a certain way won't be helpful to you. Rather, try to understand why you think the way you do.

Thoughts are impacted by the way people experience the world, so if we consider that every single one of us has had a slightly different experience in the world, we can start to accept that everyone's thoughts can be different. I think the best way to figure out why other people think the way they do is through communication and interaction.

There are no medications for autism. If you have comorbid conditions you may receive medications for these.

Do psychiatrist for aspergers have to ability to prescribe psychomotor stimulant ADHD medications ??
Firstly welcome @Lfgfgg
Glad to have you with us on the forum.

With regard to theory of mind (ToM) - I struggle with alexithymia and this is related to TOM. There is no "cure" for a lack of ToM, alexithymia or ASD1 (Aspergerger@s). I do not think I would take a medication if there was one either, but that is just me.

New Threads

Top Bottom