• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Tangent Thread: "That reminds me of the time...."

When I was young, I used enjoy pretending to wash my hands in the ocean. The sand was soap and I'd rub a handful of it between my small fingers before rinsing it off in the waves. Then I would run to my towel and get ready for my peanut butter and jelly sandwich that my mum had packed for me. It inevitably came with quite a few grains of crunchy sand in it.

I used to dig small holes in my sand box when I was a child,
to bury jars. Jars that I'd put one of my doll house dolls in.
For overnight. So that she could demonstrate her skill at
survival techniques.

I knew she could do it.
It wasn't meant as a torture.
More like hard core camping out.

Nothing says, "Hard-Core Camping" like being blindfolded, helo'ed out to a remote section of a national park, and turned loose with an MRE, a compass, a survival knife, the clothes on your back, a pair of combat boots, a snake-bite kit, and an emergency radio beacon. The first person to get back to town without triggering the beacon won a steak dinner and a 3-day liberty pass.

It took me almost two days to get back to base camp ahead of the only other person to not trigger his beacon -- all the rest got themselves hopelessly lost, triggered their beacons, and had to retake the entire survival course.

The steak was good, the beer was better, and the three days of liberty were well worth the experience.

Had I not already camped in that park several times as a child, I might never have made it out alive.

When I was small, my parents would take us out to a local steakhouse for an occasional treat. The restaurant was broken up into sections that were labeled with Midwestern town names. We always requested to sit in Sioux City. They had a display of cow statues outside in front of the restaurant and I remember playing around them while we waited for our table to be ready.

I don't think I ever really enjoyed steak as the flavor was too strong and the texture was unpleasant. For some reason, it is the potatoes that I really remember enjoying at the steakhouse.

When I was young our “eating out” was takeaway Chinese, a rare treat. Sweet and sour deep-fried soup. :relaxed: On Fridays we might get fish and chips - 20c each for a piece of fish, 20c for chips for 4. Feed the family for $1.

As a little girl, in the early 1990s, we lived remotely in the high desert, and we were very poor. I always thought of fast food restaurants as being fancy treats. Even on long road trips we usually brought small snacks, or did without.

I remember in middle school, a friend invited me to McDonalds, because they were selling hamburgers for only 10 cents that day, to support the local football team. I was shocked as i watched everyone in the restaurant eat hamburger after hamburger, some people ate five to ten.

I was from a family of very small portions of rice or potatoes, and a very treasured small main course. Just a scoop. Rarely any seconds. You ate what was in front of you and never complained.

My parents gave me a hard time about the ten cents for the burger. It was a resource. So I sat there in shock watching everyone at the table eating buckets of fries, and sandwich after sandwich, and I nearly cried. I realized I was poor. I sat there with my treasured dime in my hand, for my one really special restaurant sandwich.

I went up to the counter, and ordered my burger. It took forever because everyone was ordering large volumes. But I got mine, and everyone asked if that was all I was going to eat. I ate my hamburger, and then just sat there, seeing something I had never witnessed before except at holidays. People eating for fun, until they were totally full. I was jealous and ashamed.

My tummy was growling, because I skipped lunch to come there. And then that night I was sent to bed without dinner because I already had eaten at the restaurant. I laid there in bed confused by the two worlds. People who could eat until they were full, as part of a party. And then my world where there was never enough, and a dime for a sandwich that one almost could never taste, was something really special.

I can’t say my family was ever what you would call poor - my father was never out of work - but we came from a neighbourhood largely of industrial workers. My father caught the company bus to work, to the steelworks. He was working then as a furnace hand - he had a pair of glasses with dark blue lenses that had adhesive bandage wrapped ’round and ‘round the metal frame over the bridge of his nose, so the metal frame couldn’t touch it, otherwise he’d get burns. (Instead of arms over the ears, they had an elastic strap around the head.) Many of the nearby families were immigrants, mostly eastern European. I found out years later that the first football club I played for, in the “under 8s”, was started by Serbians. Football (soccer) was predominantly a migrant game in those days - I remember going to matches between local “Greek” and “Italian” teams, fierce rivals, with the crowd cheering and yelling in languages I did not understand. But I could understand the passion.

My parents weren't poor either, but it was astonishing
to me when I came across a cookie recipe that had
raisins AND walnuts in it. The amazing-ness.

I was in high school.
I made those cookies often.
They had clove powder, too.

The "raisins AND walnuts" is because my mother never made
any cookie with that combination. Or any combination.

I didn't know that some people put raisins in oatmeal cookies, either.

My parents weren't poor either, but it was astonishing
to me when I came across a cookie recipe that had
raisins AND walnuts in it. The amazing-ness.

I was in high school.
I made those cookies often.
They had clove powder, too.

The "raisins AND walnuts" is because my mother never made
any cookie with that combination. Or any combination.

I didn't know that some people put raisins in oatmeal cookies, either.
@tree, do you still have the recipe? They sound delicious!

@AuAL

Here is the recipe. I modified it later when I stopped using sugar and
cow products, but this is the original recipe, as it was printed in the
paper when I first started making them.

1 C. soft shortening, half butter
1 1/2 C. brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
3 C. sifted flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 C. seedless raisins
1 C. chopped nuts

1. Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs thoroughly.
2. Sift flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and closes and blend into the
first mixture; mix in rains and nuts.
3. Drop by rounded teaspoon-fuls about 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
4. Bake at 375 degrees F., eight to 10 minutes or until almost no imprint remains when
touched lightly with finger.

Makes five dozen cookies.

New Threads

Top Bottom