• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Photos from a week in India

AuAL

V.I.P Member
My wife and I spent a week in India in February. @Yeshuasdaughter, since you asked, here are some photos…

IMG_3531.jpeg

IMG_3552.jpeg

Jama Masjid, Delhi, a mosque commissioned by Shah Jahan and completed in 1656.
Outside the gates of the mosque is the Chandni Chowk quarter, with a maze of markets in Tirahar Bazaar:
IMG_3564.jpeg

IMG_3574.jpeg

Mahatma Gandhi’s memorial, Raj Ghat, Delhi

IMG_3591.jpeg

Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, one of the most prominent Sikh temples in Delhi. Volunteers here feed an average 20,000 people a day.
IMG_3590.jpeg

IMG_3628.jpeg

Amer Fort (Amber Fort), Amer, Rajasthan
And inside the fort:
IMG_3666.jpeg

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3712.jpeg

This statue “Nataraja” is of Shiva as Lord of the Dance, trampling a demon symbolizing spiritual ignorance.

IMG_3736.jpeg

Birla Mandir, a Hindu temple in Jaipur.
The exterior has some interesting statues:
IMG_3741.jpeg

Saraswati
IMG_3763.jpeg

Moses
IMG_3765.jpeg

Confucius

I should perhaps note at this point that no photography is allowed inside Hindu or Sikh temples. We were invited into this temple to participate in the service.

IMG_3785.jpeg
Hawa Mahal palace, downtown Jaipur. The intent of the latticework was to allow royal ladies to observe festivals in the street below.
And in the street:
IMG_3790.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

IMG_3796.jpeg

IMG_3829.jpeg

Jantar Mantar, Jaipur
Constructed for Rajput King Sawai Jai Singh in 1734, this is the world’s largest stone sundial, accurate to 2 seconds.
IMG_3878.jpeg

On the way from Jaipur to Agra, we stopped at the step well palace at Chand Baori, Abhaneri. Sacked by Mughal invaders almost all carvings here and at the nearby Hindu temple were defaced, literally:
IMG_3881.jpeg

But some survived, with less damage:
IMG_3901.jpeg

Last edited:
And on to Agra…
IMG_4032.jpeg

The Taj Mahal at sunset. The smaller building to the right was a mosque, constructed onsite to minimise lost construction time for prayers. The building to the left was constructed for no other reason than to maintain symmetry.
IMG_4083.jpeg

Taj Mahal shortly before sunrise.
IMG_4107.jpeg

Taj Mahal at sunrise. The towers’ appearance of leaning in is an illusion of perspective. They have actually been constructed leaning slightly outward to prevent them falling on the tomb in case of earthquake.

Very nice photos. Was cool to see monkeys and the snake guy. Hope you both had a great time there!

From Agra we returned to Delhi, then flew to Varanasi.
IMG_4178.jpeg

Sunrise over the Ganga (Ganges)
IMG_4157.jpeg

A sadhu at Dasashwamedh Ghat.

IMG_4286.jpeg

I have chosen not to post any pictures of Manikarnika Ghat, the main site for cremation. The ceremony is considered a joyous one, as cremation here and scattering of the ashes in the Ganga ensure the souls of the dead are released from reincarnation, but I thought it a private matter. I did not take any photos of people bathing in the Ganga as it is a religious observance, not just a swim.

Last edited:
IMG_4265.jpeg

At Sarnath, at the site of the Buddha’s first sermon to his disciples.

IMG_4282.jpeg

The streets of Varanasi

IMG_4284.jpeg

Do not pat the cows.

IMG_4320.jpeg

The Ganga Aarti. Every evening people gather for a festival on the banks of the river. Priests offer water, smoke and fire to the points of the compass, in unison. I estimated the crowd as being about 15,000 people.
IMG_4295.jpeg

Thanks for posting these wonderful photos.
The Taj has a very sentimental memory for me.
I love that famous Shiva statue and the snake charmer is great.
Yes, don't pat the Holy Cow! Everything stops for them.

This is a poem I created in a dream of the Taj Mahal.

What is Eternity

"Won't somebody tell me why
You must go while still must I,
Watch as ages old as mountains die?

Watch them crumble, fall and moan
Still the castles made of stone,
Stand in beauty there on high
Won't somebody tell me why.

For how can I stay,
Now that you've gone away?

See the lightning in the sky
Outward signs of you and I,
Still the rocks fall to the sea
Tell me what's Eternity."

It made me think of Shah Jahan.

It made me think of Shah Jahan.
We also visited Agra’s Red Fort, from which Shah Jahan could see the Taj Mahal, but could not visit it, as his son had put him under house arrest for the last 15 years of his life.

IMG_3974.jpeg

As a consequence of his arrest, he was not in a position to commission his own tomb, but was buried next to his wife, leading to the only non-symmetric feature in the Taj - his sarcophagus next to his wife’s (which, of course, had been placed on the centreline.)

We also visited Agra’s Red Fort, from which Shah Jahan could see the Taj Mahal, but could not visit it, as his son had put him under house arrest for the last 15 years of his life.

View attachment 129847

As a consequence of his arrest, he was not in a position to commission his own tomb, but was buried next to his wife, leading to the only non-symmetric feature in the Taj - his sarcophagus next to his wife’s (which, of course, had been placed on the centreline.)
And he was not able to build the Black tomb for himself, which would have been identical. Mumtez Mahal was actually accompanying her husband, the Shah, in battle when she died from postpartum hemorrhage after 30 hours of childbirth.
It would have been her 14th child.
There are so many interesting stories regarding the monument.

New Threads

Top Bottom