• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for help/info for condition

Lfgfgg

Confused about how people visualize and metaphors . Bit psychotic aswell wandering if someone can explain??

Confused about how people visualize and metaphors . Bit psychotic aswell wandering if someone can explain??
Do you mean you are looking for an explanation of how people can visualize objects?

And also, looking for an explanation of how to understand metaphors?

So I used to think visualizing was a metaphor. When narratives discussed characters “counting sheep”, I thought they were not being literal, no way the character was actually visualizing sheep in their head.

Turns out I was wrong…people actually do see images in their mind. I don’t. I learned that this condition is called Aphantasia. It can also affect the other senses. For instance, I can’t hear music in my mind either.

Scientists think this might be related to a memory condition called Severely Deficient Autobiographical Memory (SDAM), which I also have.

Yes, it seems autistic people have a tendency towards either hyperphantasia (extreme visualization) or aphantasia.

I'm a visual hyperphantasia, but I have a form of aphantasia, probably related to being deaf. I can experience sound via cochlear implant, although I don't wear the earpiece anymore. But there's only one sound I can recall in my head, the Super Mario World theme music of all things. Every other sound is just ... not there.

I just replied to the thread on Thought Overload, and as you can see there, I'm the extreme opposite. Extreme hyperphantasia. Like a photographic memory and visualization is mainly how I process.
Same with music and vocal recall.

It's a wonder I know which one is my own thought sounds, but I do.
My mind is just a very busy place. 🙃

New Threads

Top Bottom