• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cognitive / Social development through apprenticeship rather than by peers

Shiroi Tora

Children learn through many means. Modeling allows them to learn as a whole. When they take after someone they admire, they take on (so long as their model is positive) many positive aspects. How the person (mentor) arrives at decisions becomes apparent after the child sees a pattern of cause and effect. Through discussion, the child is exposed to methods of thought as well as new information. They see how the mentor prioritized, processed and acted on the information. It is very efficient and is the way the world generally operates.

It is the child who never looks upward to learn that is kept in perpetual adolescence. Actually, reading books is apprenticing to the author. School is supposed to be the same thing. So far as structured learning...it is either.. learning from the learned...or the blind leading the blind.

Correct social rules generally come from above also.

You know what I think...your thoughts?

Children learn through many means. Modeling allows them to learn as a whole. When they take after someone they admire, they take on (so long as their model is positive) many positive aspects. How the person (mentor) arrives at decisions becomes apparent after the child sees a pattern of cause and effect. Through discussion, the child is exposed to methods of thought as well as new information. They see how the mentor prioritized, processed and acted on the information. It is very efficient and is the way the world generally operates.

It is the child who never looks upward to learn that is kept in perpetual adolescence. Actually, reading books is apprenticing to the author. School is supposed to be the same thing. So far as structured learning...it is either.. learning from the learned...or the blind leading the blind.

Correct social rules generally come from above also.

You know what I think...your thoughts?
This is not only true for children, this also is true for teens and adults as well.I did not have many 'positive' rollmodels as a child,but was intelligent enough to realise the lifestyles they lived,were harsh at best,and did not wish to grow into the same problems as they,so I had read a few books,and,as you said used the authors as roll models.

I'd have to agree with you both. My role model as a child was (and still is, but shhh...don't tell anyone) Spiderman/Peter Parker. :mask:

As an Aspie I'm often asking people to "show me" so I can learn it...just telling me or having me try it (hands on) is far less effective, than just letting me watch a few times.

Last edited:
Spiderman, I hadn't thought of him.If you look at the way the charicter utilises his power for the ethical benefit of humanity,andstaunchly so,You would very quickly see that this charicter of spiderman would be a perfect rolemodle. And like you,I have to 'see' how a thing is done before I can do it however in math sometimes even this is a problem because I thimk three dimensionally,not two dimensionally.

New Threads

Top Bottom