• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can't ride rollercoasters any more

Misty Avich

I'm just angry
V.I.P Member
And I feel sad (as in emotionally sad). I like the heights, but the speed is too much and the G-force makes me panic because I can't breathe. Then when I get off the ride I'm all lightheaded with a splitting headache and I feel all dizzy. I take antisickness pills but I still get dizzy which can then bring on nausea, even if it's just anxiety-nausea from being dizzy. I don't like to eat much before going on rides but I try to eat a little and drink water so that I don't feel like I'm lacking in energy. Is all this to do with having inner ear balance problems (which I do have)? My brother doesn't suffer with that.

I wish intense rollercoasters had like a screen thing in front of each seat so that you'll feel the G-force less and can enjoy the speed better. Mind you, I don't think that would make any difference to me, as I felt ill after using a VR simulation device the other week at my cousin's place.

Does anyone else find the G-force too much on fast rollercoasters? I never know how people manage to scream on rollercoasters when I can't even get any air in my lungs to be able to do that.

I've never been fond of them - they are more of a thing I had to endure because other people wanted to ride on them.

The amusement parks themselves, with the noise, crowds, lights, and smells are already more than I like.

How do you feel on rollercoasters?

Oh! I haven't ridden one in years, but we are going to an amusement park next month as a reward for my oldest son getting straight A's for the school year. So I can come back and tell you what I think of them. lol.

I think right now I'd probably be a lot more stressed about going to the park in the first place than riding one. It was a lot easier going out in a crowd with a bit of alcohol, but right now as I am, I can barely handle a quiet restaurant without feeling nauseous.

Oh! I haven't ridden one in years, but we are going to an amusement park next month as a reward for my oldest son getting straight A's for the school year. So I can come back and tell you what I think of them. lol.
That's good news about your son. :)
I think right now I'd probably be a lot more stressed about going to the park in the first place than riding one. It was a lot easier going out in a crowd with a bit of alcohol, but right now as I am, I can barely handle a quiet restaurant without feeling nauseous.
I don't mind a theme park atmosphere. I just get anxious about puking in public.

That's good news about your son. :)

I don't mind a theme park atmosphere. I just get anxious about puking in public.

Is there something particular to puking in public, out of curiosity? Do you get motion sick on roller coasters?

As I've gotten older my body seems to tolerate them a lot less. It's a lot quicker to get dizzy, etc.

Is there something particular to puking in public, out of curiosity? Do you get motion sick on roller coasters?
I never used to get motion sickness on rollercoasters, only rides that spin. But even when I take an antisickness pill I still feel sick, or think I feel sick, due to the lack of oxygen I get from the G-force. I just can't take it any more and it's a shame, because I am a thrill-seeker.

Vomiting in public is my worst fear. I think it's because I don't vomit straight away. I just feel really sick for ages and just want to lay somewhere safe and alone, near a toilet.
When I had norovirus it took an hour and a half of feeling horribly nauseous before I was actually sick. It was a horrible experience I don't want to ever happen again.

How do you guys deal with the G-force? How come it makes some people dizzy and lack oxygen but not others even though you're on the same fast rollercoaster?

I never used to get motion sickness on rollercoasters, only rides that spin. But even when I take an antisickness pill I still feel sick, or think I feel sick, due to the lack of oxygen I get from the G-force. I just can't take it any more and it's a shame, because I am a thrill-seeker.

Vomiting in public is my worst fear. I think it's because I don't vomit straight away. I just feel really sick for ages and just want to lay somewhere safe and alone, near a toilet.
When I had norovirus it took an hour and a half of feeling horribly nauseous before I was actually sick. It was a horrible experience I don't want to ever happen again.

How do you guys deal with the G-force? How come it makes some people dizzy and lack oxygen but not others even though you're on the same fast rollercoaster?
Oh yeah the norovirus sucks like nothing else. We had one Christmas ruined because of it. My husband got sick first, then I got sick, then the kids got sick, ... it might've been saved if we all got sick at once, but someone always needed taking care of lol.

If you want a serious answer to the G-force, mostly likely it has something to do with the vestibular system. It is responsible for the feeling of "dizziness." I have no functioning vestibular system, due to the type of deafness I have. I cannot get dizzy and I have never felt "anything" even on the most extreme rides except the sensation of my body being pressed / pulled. But the downside is I can't run more than about 5mph without going in zig-zags and falling down lol.

Oh yeah the norovirus sucks like nothing else. We had one Christmas ruined because of it. My husband got sick first, then I got sick, then the kids got sick, ... it might've been saved if we all got sick at once, but someone always needed taking care of lol.
I'd picked it up from the care home I used to work at, even though I was very careful with hygiene during the outbreak. So that makes me not trust PPE any more.
Luckily I only vomited once but I wasn't well for about 3 days, as in aching and feeling tired and weak. My dad caught it exactly 2 days after I vomited but he vomited violently and so did my brother, who caught it 2 days after my dad. This was all over Christmas of 2017. I was most worried about my mum because she was fighting cancer and had a phobia of vomiting. But strangely enough she didn't catch it, unless she did but was asymptomatic.
If you want a serious answer to the G-force, mostly likely it has something to do with the vestibular system. It is responsible for the feeling of "dizziness." I have no functioning vestibular system, due to the type of deafness I have. I cannot get dizzy and I have never felt "anything" even on the most extreme rides except the sensation of my body being pressed / pulled. But the downside is I can't run more than about 5mph without going in zig-zags and falling down lol.
Wow, that's quite interesting. I'm deaf in one ear due to inflamed ear canal from overuse of earplugs and headphones (having hearing sensitivity issues and living below a family in an apartment building with thin floors is an absolute nightmare). I think I'm going to go deafer as I get older, as deafness runs in my family.

I'd picked it up from the care home I used to work at, even though I was very careful with hygiene during the outbreak. So that makes me not trust PPE any more.
Yeah wasn't it mentioned in the other thread that the norovirus spreads only by hand to mouth contact? I don't think we have a strong understanding of disease spread. COVID proved that.

Luckily I only vomited once but I wasn't well for about 3 days, as in aching and feeling tired and weak. My dad caught it exactly 2 days after I vomited but he vomited violently and so did my brother, who caught it 2 days after my dad. This was all over Christmas of 2017. I was most worried about my mum because she was fighting cancer and had a phobia of vomiting. But strangely enough she didn't catch it, unless she did but was asymptomatic.
It is a small mercy for your mother that she did not have to suffer this while fighting her own battles. Norovirus Christmases are the worst. It seems to happen once a decade or so for a lot of people.

Wow, that's quite interesting. I'm deaf in one ear due to inflamed ear canal from overuse of earplugs and headphones (having hearing sensitivity issues and living below a family in an apartment building with thin floors is an absolute nightmare). I think I'm going to go deafer as I get older, as deafness runs in my family.
Maybe your inner ear issues is linked to your hearing issues? I think that HoH (hard-of-hearing) people have a lot of struggles that fully deaf people do not. They always seem to have problems related to hearing sensitivity, taking care of their remaining hearing, and issues with balance/nausea. I sometimes wonder if it is easier to just be full deaf.

BTW it is very nice chatting with you. Good practice for me and small talk as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom