• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism in the Media

rach3rd

I thought I would share an autistic website I created for the community. I wanted to showcase how autistics have been represented in both film and tv. In the past it was of course, not so good. But I’m happy to report it is improving. You use a toggle switch, which you can find below the top header image, to switch between tv and movies. I group them by decade. Clicking on an item opens a detail view where you can view more information, including viewing trailers when media is available. I used The Movie DB websites free API to include descriptions, posters, and cast information. I also created my own database of information about each autistic character that gets added to each entry. It took me over a year to both collect the data and code the site.

Hopefully someone gets some enjoyment out of it. I am thinking about doing reviews and posting them to the site, but have been burned out a bit lately.

I thought I would share an autistic website I created for the community. I wanted to showcase how autistics have been represented in both film and tv. In the past it was of course, not so good. But I’m happy to report it is improving. You use a toggle switch, which you can find below the top header image, to switch between tv and movies. I group them by decade. Clicking on an item opens a detail view where you can view more information, including viewing trailers when media is available. I used The Movie DB websites free API to include descriptions, posters, and cast information. I also created my own database of information about each autistic character that gets added to each entry. It took me over a year to both collect the data and code the site.

Hopefully someone gets some enjoyment out of it. I am thinking about doing reviews and posting them to the site, but have been burned out a bit lately.

Very nice work! I thought it would only be a few films, but the larger collection allows for more significant analysis.

I think it would definately benefit from some sort of review or additional info about the autistic character in the film. But I wouldn't want to see just any Joe/jane Blow's half cooked opinions. It should be as well done as what you already have. If you haven't time or energy, perhaps you could get assist from others.

Wow, looks like you put a lot of time and effort into that. I thought it was a very aesthetically pleasing site.

I had this thread planned out. You beat me to it a week ago, even with a link. Call me a bleeding heart, or one to jump into the deep end, but I will just take advantage of this situation to negate beating around the bush to share this video.

New Threads

Top Bottom