• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

medication

Lfgfgg

Do aspergers psychiatrist have the ability to prescribe psychomotor stimulants and ADHD medications??

I don't see why not.
Only I refuse to take ADHD medication because I actually like my ADHD symptoms and I think they make me cute and funny and affectionate. Without them I might be this blank, robotic, nerdy Aspie.

Do aspergers psychiatrist have the ability to prescribe psychomotor stimulants and ADHD medications??
I have been told they do, but I think it might be expensive to be assessed first.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

A psychiatrist has a medical degree and is licensed to prescribe medication.
-----
Not all drugs prescribed for ADD/ADHD are stimulants.
Strattera, for example.

You say that as though it is a bad thing. 😒
Well I'm on Sertraline and that helps me to have more control over anger management and so that's why I only express it here. I mean, it's got to come out somewhere.
But I don't really feel angry in my everyday life, but the person who diagnosed me with ADHD say that ADHD-related anger (especially is females) isn't usually the same sort of anger as non-ADHDer with poor anger management issues. Even before I went on Sertraline I never hurt anybody, I was just verbally angry. Now I can control those outbursts better but still need a safe space I can go to vent, as I feel a lot.

Welp, I've been sinning daily, then. :p

But seriously. Coffee is not for everyone. And that's fine. To each thier own.
What I find odd is that for some people, caffeine helps their ADHD.
I have ADD and, unfortunately, I am hypersensitive to it.

"To each their own..."
"Whatever floats your boat..."
"One person's meat is another person's poison..." :cool:

I am too ADHD to keep track of my diet (except calorie-counting to lose weight but that's different) to see which food or drink makes me do what.

There's not really such a thing as an Aspergers Psychiatrist. There may be some who have studied more in certain areas of who have an interest in such areas, but they can all prescribe AFAIK.

I stay off the caffeine. :cool:
Caffeine is the devil in my life.

It really helps me. I need to take L-Theanine to calm the jitters it gives me, but if I have a decent amount of caffeine it does quite well for my attention span and concentration AFAICT.

I actually like my ADHD symptoms and I think they make me cute and funny and affectionate.
I'm less keen on mine, if that's what this turns out to be: continuous noise in my brain, unable to complete any tasks, quickly bored, procrastination, impatience, etc. LOL, I'm a real catch!

It really helps me. I need to take L-Theanine to calm the jitters it gives me, but if I have a decent amount of caffeine it does quite well for my attention span and concentration AFAICT.
As I mentioned above, it helps some ppl, but unfortunately, it causes a lot of problems for me overall.
I.E. "YMMV"

I just cancelled my initial consol with a ADHD specializing psychiatrist. They don't offer titration support, they won't see me face-to-face and they are VERY expensive. Sigh. I think having the ASD can complicate things, and meds might not even work for me and then there is what Misty said. I will be presenting more ASDy and I think my ADHDness makes for an interesting character, even though I'm VERY ADHDy in my presentation, but, I don't show a lot of emotion publically, I'm way too alexithymic and delayed processing to do that, for the most part. So I'm gonna stick with my ADHD naturopathic medicine instead.

I just cancelled my initial consol with a ADHD specializing psychiatrist. They don't offer titration support, they won't see me face-to-face and they are VERY expensive. Sigh. I think having the ASD can complicate things, and meds might not even work for me and then there is what Misty said. I will be presenting more ASDy and I think my ADHDness makes for an interesting character, even though I'm VERY ADHDy in my presentation, but, I don't show a lot of emotion publically, I'm way too alexithymic and delayed processing to do that, for the most part. So I'm gonna stick with my ADHD naturopathic medicine instead.
Yeah, I'm tossing up whether to go ahead. It's a ton of money and one of the big issues I have is I don't have any of the stuff to demonstrate it was present before age 12. Combine that with the ASD combination stuff and I wonder if they'll even take me seriously. Example, the surveys say things like "How often do you do things without planning?". My response is "Never, are you crazy? I will plan and plan to avoid uncertainty, but then get bored/distracted during planning and never actually do the thing itself". But the little tick boxes don't have that detail. So when I tick "Never" it looks like I'm this thoughtful guy who plans well and executes tasks diligently.

Personally I've had enough of these symptoms. I don't mind the ASD ones as much, even if they mean I'm basically on my own. The ADHD symptoms have scuppered my ability to use my ASD strengths to compensate for what it takes. I'm blessed with intelligence alongside the other traits of ASD. But like a Usain Bolt suffering from infinite false starts in the 100M final, I can never get to floor it mentally.

It's a ton of money
Thanx for the clarification.

Just getting to see a psychiatrist costs a lot of money.
I was told recently it would be around $770 just to get in.
And then there is usually a long time to get an appointment.

Thanx for the clarification.

Just getting to see a psychiatrist costs a lot of money.
I was told recently it would be around $770 just to get in.
And then there is usually a long time to get an appointment.

Holy moly! It cost me close to $300.

Holy moly! It cost me close to $300.
I am quoting in Australian "Pesos". :p

Australian Peso.PNG

There's not really such a thing as an Aspergers Psychiatrist. There may be some who have studied more in certain areas of who have an interest in such areas, but they can all prescribe AFAIK.

I'm less keen on mine, if that's what this turns out to be: continuous noise in my brain, unable to complete any tasks, quickly bored, procrastination, impatience, etc. LOL, I'm a real catch!

New Threads

Top Bottom